In 1879, the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway Company agent, George Sealy, purchased 11,635 acres
at the location of the current Sealy cemetery from the Township of San Felipe de Austin for the purpose of establishing
a railroad depot. The village of Sealy soon developed around the depot and on July 5, 1883, the cemetery
recorded its first burial here-that of Annie Fowlkes.
Families that settled in Sealy purchased cemetery plots directly from the railroad until the company donated
the land to cemetery trustees, C. H. Ruff, R. P. Josey and John Hackbarth in 1887.
The Sealy cemetery association was founded sometime prior to 1898 and officially chartered in 1924. The ladies of the cemetery society, organized in 1904, helped the association cultivate
community support to upgrade and maintain the cemetery.
St. John's Episcopal Church
Organized in 1885, five years after the railroad town of Sealy was founded, St. John's has served the community with worship and outreach programs. Among the church's many supporters was railroad official George Sealy, for whom the town was named and who served on the missionary board of the Episcopal Dioceses of Texas. The congregation's first building, erected two blocks north of this site in 1889, was destroyed in the hurricane of 1900. A new church structure was erected at it's current location in 1910.
Southwest Czech Presbytery
The Southwest Czech Presbytery was organized in the Czech Presbyterian Church in Sealy, Texas on November 3, 1911, by authority of the Synod of Texas. There were then four Presbyterian parishes and eight ministers in this body using the Czech language.